Monday, 19 September 2011

Sept 19

Was it only last week I was gloating about the summer weather?  Well my karma has come back to bite me as the aftermath of Hurricane Maria has brought fall in a big way.  (Or as the woman in Summerside said, describing where the market was, 'The intersection of Summer and Winter.')  The days are lovely, tho noticably shorter, but the nights have become pretty chilly!  We woke to 7 C this morning, and that was inside!  I had bought a nice fleecy blanket, but had to give it to Buddy last night and we slept under all the other layers. 

Mutiny is highly likely here, as Norbert has decreed that no clothes shall be worn under the covers.  It's icy getting into bed, and it's really nasty getting up to pee at night!   I'm thinking he could sleep with Buddy, and I'll wear what I like on the sofa!.  But we did buy a little ceramic electric heater today, so instead of using our noisy and unpredictable propane heater I'm hoping we'll have steady warmth now if we plug in at night.  Now that may not always be easy as we're running into campsites closed for the season, but at least it's better than perpetually frozen buns. 

But aside from the domestic strife, the days continue to be delightful.  Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Applicious, another Fall Flavours event held in a 300 acre orchard.  We feasted on mussels, corn, pie (with cheddar a la PEI), oysters, and more apples.  There was a pie eating, pie baking, oyster shucking, oyster eating, and funny hat contest, as well as several local musicians.  Great day out, and came home just stuffed!  Today found the Canadian Wind Energy Institute, with it's 47 giant wind turbines.  Really amazing and exciting.  We're actually camped on the shore beneath one of them, all alone for miles along a red sand beach. 

Tomorrow we're going in search of  the lobster boats coming in with their catch.  Hope to find a few offloaded into our kitchen too!   

1 comment: